Tuesday, January 17, 2012

weekend snapshots: a visit to pdx + seattle snow!

This past weekend was awesome for many reasons. Reason number one: Portland. I LOVE PORTLAND. So when Miles asked if I could take Friday off work to head down to see his band, the Torn ACLs, play at the Big Ass Boombox Pop Festival, my answer was a simple yet effective "duh." I had so much fun at their show, they sounded great and I danced my butt off (not true, it's still there)! Besides the show, the highlight of my trip was seeing my wonderful and supper funny friend Megan and romping around the Alberta neighborhood, my favorite place in all of Portland. Here are some photos I took of my favorite places to shop on Alberta Street, plus a few shots of me and Megan just for fun.

Billy Goat Vintage is my favorite vintage spot in PDX. They have beautiful clothes for reasonable prices plus super cute decorations! I tend to work up an appetite when I shop so Miles and I always have to stop at Alberta Co-Op Grocery Store for fresh local produce, baked goods and yummy local coffee. Lastly, Miles' favorite spot (and one of mine!) on Alberta is definitely Ampersand. They have a beautiful, open, design-y type store with vintage and modern books, photographs, prints and local art. Not to mention a ton of vintage post cards, my personal weakness. I had to have this postcard with hungry little Kodiak Bear Cubs on it! Anyways, reason number two this weekend was awesome: Seattle Snow!
I was born and raised in the sunny, dry Central Valley of California. So, any time there is snow I FREAK OUT. I love the snow! Not in a "hey brah, heard there's some fresh pow pow let's hit the slopes" sort of way, but in a "want to grab some hot cocoa, spike it with booze, and then walk around in our cute hats and mittens?!" sort of way. I was so excited we got back from our Portland adventure early enough to enjoy a lazy, snowy Sunday in Seattle. It doesn't snow a lot here, so when it does Seattlelites relish in it and take full advantage of a blanket white cityscape. Makeshift cardboard sleds, ironic hipster snowmen in the park, an excuse to drink warm alcoholic beverages in the middle of the day. These are just a few reasons I love Seattle snow days. All in all, it was a great weekend.

2 comments: